Thursday, September 13, 2007

#1: The French, #2: Rapidly Becoming The Canadians

The Premier of Ontario apparently needs the intervention of a clue-by-four:

"Ontario Liberal Leader Dalton McGuinty said Wednesday that he does not want to see the provinces' schools resort to installing metal detectors and having uniformed security officers patrol the halls in the wake of Tuesday's fatal stabbing at a Toronto high school.

"Such a move, he said, would amount to the Americanization of schools in Ontario.

"'I see that as an absolute last resort,' Mr. McGuinty told reporters during an election campaign stop.

"Instead, he said, Ontario needs to distinguish itself from the United States by imposing an outright ban on hand guns.

"'Let's ban handguns in Ontario,' he said. 'Let's ban handguns across the country. Let's declare war against handguns.'"
I don't even know where to begin. Should I begin with the most obvious point that a ban on handguns (even if it were effective - which it wouldn't be) wouldn't stop people from stabbing each other? What about the absurd premise that the solution to the problem (assuming that there is an underlying problem other than that society includes people who are willing to kill other people using whatever means they can obtain) has to be Un-American first and effective second? Once I decide where to begin, though, what next? Should I mention how later in the article the inevitable funding issue comes up?

I think I'll just stop here before I give myself an ulcer.

HT: Fark

0 comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro